Wednesday 7 August 2013

Deadpool #6 Review

Writers: Brian Posehn & Gerry Duggan
Artist: Tony Moore

This has been a brilliant series, and one of my favourites since the start of Marvel NOW!, and it's also been one of the best Deadpool series I've read. It's ton's of fun, and has Deadpool at his witty best, with some good jokes (some not so good), and brilliant action, and Brian Posehn, Gerry Duggan, and Tony Moore have done an amazing job on this series.

Plot


The final battle is about to commence, and Deadpool is set to take on the first president of the United States, George Washington, and fittingly they're in Washington D.C.

Review


This was yet another amazing issue, and probably the best in the series so far. This was the big finale to the mysterious zombie presidents opening story arc to Deadpool, and Brian Posehn, and Gerry Duggan didn't have close it with a bang. What I liked most about the writing was that it was much more serious this time round, as most of the series has been fun, with Deadpool taking things not very serious, but with the consequences of this final battle, he has to be serious. Don't get me wrong, this is still a fun issue, and it has funny moments, but Posehn, and Duggan have toned it down a bit, knowing when to add a joke, and when it's time to be serious. The only thing I didn't like about the writing was how they wrote Captain America (yes the Avengers make an appearance), as he felt way out of character, but I'll talk more about that later.

Once again Tony Moore has given us some fantastic art, and it's nothing short of phenomenal. This series wouldn't be as good if it wasn't for Moore's artwork, and although Posehn, and Duggan have done a brilliant job with the writing of the series, it's Moore's art that makes it shine. I just love his gruesome style, and the way he doesn't worry about holding back, making both Deadpool and the undead presidents look grotesque. Everything from the character's, to the scenery has brilliant detail, looking truly epic. The facial expressions were also spot on, and you could easily feel what the characters were feeling, whether joy, or anger. To be honest there isn't anything to fault about the artwork, and if every comic book had art to the quality level of this I'd be very happy, but I can be thankful that this series has that level of quality.

There were still jokes in this issue, and although there wasn't as many, due to the issue being more serious, there was still some good ones. Not all of the jokes throughout this series have been good, but I try and forget the bad ones, as I'd rather it contain bad jokes than none at all, as that would just ruin Deadpool, who's known for his jokes. One joke in particular interested me, and that was when Deadpool said that, "at least there's no gangnam style where I'm going." I found this funny due to the fact that Deadpool featured on a variant cover (which he frequently does) for Avengers #1, and on the cover he's doing the gangnam style. Besides that the jokes weren't as good as usual, but at least there was an effort, and due to the serious nature of the issue, it's understandable.

The magic, and mystery continued throughout this issue, and it probably had the best magic in the entire story. I won't talk specifics, as it's best to see for yourself, but it was truly epic, and set the perfect tone for the final battle. I've really enjoyed the magic, and mystery throughout this story, and Posehn, and Duggan have handled it really well throughout, but the magic in this issue was simply outstanding, and made the rest look average (which it wasn't). I also liked that despite this Michael didn't have to big a role, and that it was all left down to Deadpool, and George Washington, although it was nice seeing Michael.

The fight between Deadpool and George Washington was brilliant, and it didn't disappoint. Although the fight I most looked forward to was with Deadpool and Abraham Lincoln (which happened in issue 4), this was the best, and I'm glad of that due to it being the finale. What I loved was that George assumed that he could beat Deapool easily, and was confused by his actions entirely, as although he thought he was in control, he didn't account for the randomness of Deadpool. Deadppol was also brilliant in the fight, and although he's made fun of most presidents throughout during fights, he kept it to a minimum, as this was very personal for him (see last issue to find out why). I did however find the end of the fight slightly sudden, and had mixed feelings on it, but won't go into details as to avoid spoilers.

As I said earlier in my review the Avengers make an appearance. Sorry if anyone see's this as a spoiler, as I personally don't think it is, but if I have I'm sorry. I won't say how the Avengers are involved, as that would defiantly be a spoiler, but I will say my feelings on the subject. As I said already, I didn't like that Captain America was out of character, as he acted very obnoxious, and wasn't anything like the Captain America that I enjoy reading. Deadpool's reaction to the Avengers was however very well handled, and although Posehn, and Duggan can't write the Avengers very well, they've always done a good job of writing Deadpool, no matter what situation he's in. I also liked that Thor got a further appearance, as I enjoyed seeing him in issue 1, but besides that the Avengers appearance felt a bit forced, and unnecessary.

Final Verdict


This was a brilliant issue, and I can't honestly think of a better way to end such a fantastic story. It was still fun, an humorous, but it still had a very serious tone to it, due to the stakes being high. I would easily recommend this issue to anyone, as well as the entire series as if your not a Deadpool fan this will probably make you one, and current Deadpool fans that haven't tried it should also love it.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment