Thursday 9 January 2014

Exclusive Interview with 2012 Top Cow Talent Hunt Winner Martin Gimenez

I was lucky enough to get the chance to ask 2012 Top Cow Talent Hunt Winner Martin Gimenez a few questions on being a winner of the contest.

How does it feel to be a winner of Top Cow’s Talent Hunt?

I feel honored and proud that artists like Marc Silvestri and Matt Hawkins count on me, I could be talking for hours about Marc's work, I follow his career for a long time (since his first issue of Wolverine). I respect Matt's work and also am very curious to find out how he will continue the "Think Thank" series.

What influenced you in becoming a comic book artist?

I've always wanted to tell stories, not only draw. I'm always interested in communicating my thoughts and talk about them with images, and, comic is the best in media since we can have total control of the written work, plus all needed is a piece of paper, a pencil, and obviously something to say.  

What comics or artists inspire you?

Actually  I believe I am inspired by all. I keep checking what is new on the web but I am conscious that any place could be a source of inspiration. I could mention a few but would be unfair because I could be forgetting about others but, let me try... 
I am Argentinian  and as a result I could probably provide information about authors that perhaps are not known, for example: Alberto Breccia, Enrique Breccia, Gerardo Zaffino, Jorge Munoz,( Alack Sinner is one of his principal characters) etc (If not known search google and you will have no regrets). 

And related to U.S.A Comics (pulling aside all the big artists and writers that work there) and talking about Top Cow (and probably I will sound like a bootlicker, but I liked them before the Talent Hunt) I would say that Marc's work, first in Inferno then in Wolverine (I can listen different opinions, but he performs the best version of Logan and then when I thought that was the definitive version, he improves it in New X-Men Of Morrison) The concepts that he created like Darkness, Witchblade (in Darkenss he hired Ennis, my goodness!)
Writers that deserve to be mentioned are obviously: Moore, Miller, Gaiman, Morrison, Ennis, Millar, etc,etc...

How does it feel working for a company like Top Cow?

For me, today, it's one of the most exciting editorials! I am a fan of these characters, I know them from the beginning, I saw their evolution. From Image to Top Cow I witnessed this evolution. Top Cow as a Young Universe has lot of things to offer...Top Cow has the dark esthetic of the urban landscapes of Vertigo, for example, plus the high impact action scenes, this is the heritage of the best comic from U.S.A and Europe. I don't know if I answered the question...hehehe 


How does it feel to work on a series as popular as Artifacts?

Artifacts has several issues released, despite of this it's a new series and it's constantly changing.
The characters and the plot are done. Do you know how it continues? I don't, and I want to be there to to find out...
I am tired of characters who need marketing and promotion to exist. Also bored about the sequels or "The Event of the Year" to keep them on the road.

Top Cow is a young universe and has the best styles and known worlds...

What do you prefer drawing the most, emotional dialogue sequences or exciting action?

The story must have an equilibrium, otherwise, it can be counterproductive.

The story has its own rhythm and moods, and if you decide  maximize one aspect and relegate other the result can be imbalanced. But I can't deny that I like obscure scenes which usually impact the readers.


Were you a fan of Artifacts prior to working on the series?

Do you have some space here to talk about it? Hehehe, I think that God or the destiny has its mysterious ways...

When Witchblade came out I got glued to the T.V because I wanted to see every chapter if it were possible. The one who grabbed my attention from all the characters was Ian, that version was pretty good but I was always thinking  "I will do this and that with this character, I will improve this, I will change this..."
And when I was expecting to finally know which character was for me I told to my friends and collaborators Angela Scardigno and Leonardo Figueroa:  "I hope that we get Ian", and finally we got it...probably I did mental control...

How do you feel about working alongside a fellow winner of Top Cow‘s Talent Hunt?

It's very interesting work with Eugene,it's like an injection of new blood in your body. When I read the synopsis I kept thinking "Yes! What it would happen if Ian can't use the Blood Sword? He will become more human and there is a chance for him to fail and he will be, in some way, closer to the audience. I hope that we will be able to work together again and discuss new ideas, scripts and other stuff...

Are you planning to work on any more issues of Artifacts and if not what are you planning on working on next?

I will be glad if I have the chance to work again with Top Cow (I have my fav ones) if I think on this I start to have new ideas, designs and I want to play again...
The interesting couple Jackie and Sarah...RipClaw, Impact, stealth, Ian, and it would be interesting to work again with the Artifacts...
And I will keep working in my project NNComics, here you can see some of my work:
My facebbok account is www.facebook.com/MARTINGIMENEZarts
My personal project www.facebook.com/NNComics


What advice would you give an aspiring artist about tackling Top Cow’s Talent Hunt in the future?

Probably it would sound like a cliche, but I would say: Let's participate! Invite your friends and try to have fun, as I did, if it happens that you win, that's awesome! But if you don't...Who will take away the wonderful experience of playing with these characters?

Artifacts #34 is on sale 29th January.

No comments:

Post a Comment