Sunday 27 October 2013

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1 Episode 5 "Girl in the Flower Dress" Review


This has been a very entertaining series so far, as although not quite to the high level that I expected from Joss Whedon and Marvel, it has had some interesting development so far, and shows a lot of promise for the future, with the characters starting to grow on me even more with each episode.

Plot


When a man named that S.H.I.E.L.D. have been monitoring named Chan Ho Yin (who can produce fire from his hands) is suddenly kidnapped S.H.I.E.L.D. find a interesting culprit for their security leak.

Review


This was yet another good episode for the series, but it didn't personally appeal to me as much as the last four, feeling slightly dull and slow at times. It did however have some very interesting development points, and I mean interesting, but I'll talk a bit more on that further on in my review. It was also nice to see that the series has went back to adding some power sets to the series, as although I've enjoyed the more spy like feel the series has taken as of late, it is nice to see some of the stuff that makes comic book films and TV series different from others. It was also nice to see the episode tie-in with previous events in the series, and that it's set-up future developments,  as although there have been a couple of parts that I've expected more development from, until now there wasn't really any overall connection or continuing theme.

This episode would introduce another character with superpowers in the form of Chan Ho Yin played by Louis Ozawa Changchien. Chan's superpowers are the ability to produce flames from his hands, and it's these powers that get him kidnapped. Now I already said that I was happy to see more characters with superpowers, as it adds more of a comics book vibe to the series, but it was the kidnapping that interested me more, and why the kidnappers wanted Chan. It would be revealed later on in the episode who was behind this, and although I won't give away any spoilers I will say that this is one of the parts that is connected to a previous development point.

Now the person who was representing the group that kidnapped Chan would be called Raina played by Ruth Negga, and would also be the titled "girl in the flower dress". Now the series has had it's fair share of different antagonists and villains, but this one was probably the most interesting out of them all, as although there were others that added more excitement, and others that seemed more maniacal, it was the soft tone and mysterious nature of Raina that interested me the most. I also loved how throughout the episode we'd get to learn more of Raina's characteristics, and she would show that she was very versatile, doing whatever it took to get the job done without getting into any physical trouble herself.

Girl in the Flower Dress

The Rising Tide would have a role in this episode when S.H.I.E.L.D. learn that it is one of their hackers, Miles Lydon played by Austin Nichols. This would probably be the most interesting development in the episode as prior to learning the identity of the Rising Tide member it would add a lot of questions as to where Skye's loyalties lied, and whether she was the Rising Tide member that hacked S.H.I.E.L.D. Miles himself however was a very interesting character, as apart from his connection to Skye, he seemed the typical anti-government who was against everything that people like S.H.I.E.L.D. stand for, being slightly annoying with it. 

The character who's had the moat focus in this series so far has had to be Skye, and that would continue yet again in this issue, with there being tons of development points for her. The main development would be as I said the mistrust that S.H.I.E.L.D. had in her, questioning her loyalties, and whether she was a double agent or not. It would however not take long for even more to be revealed, as whilst S.H.I.E.L.D. was looking for Miles it would be Skye who coincidently found him, having tipped him off about S.H.I.E.L.D. looking for him. Besides this there would be a lot more developments to come from Skye in this episode, and although some would slow the episode down, they would all add something interesting to the episode, and I for one look forward to seeing how this influences the next episode.

Plenty of Development for Skye

Final Verdict


This was a good episode, but probably the worst in the series so far. Development wise it was probably the best, but it would have more slow and dull moments than the previous episodes, with it overall not feeling quite as exciting. The developments do however do a lot for the series, showing even more promise for it's future, and due to this I'd recommend watching this episode, especially due to the fact that there isn't going to be one next week.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment