Thursday 21 November 2013

Exclusive Interview with Witchblade Artist Laura Braga

I was lucky enough to get the chance to ask the current artist on Witchblade, Laura Brag a few questions about working on Witchblade and the comic book industry as a whole.

What influenced you in becoming a comic book artist?

As far as I can remember I've always wanted to draw comics or cartoons, and as a child I spent lots of time drawing or coloring, it was my favourite game. I've always said drawing comics would be my job and I've grown up keeping that promise.

What comics or artists inspire you?

They are so many ... I couldn't name them all. Also very different for style or genre.
I attended the Disney Academy, so at the beginning I had a completely different style, more cartoonish. I developed a more realistic style working with Milo Manara. Today there are many American and French artist that inspire me.

How did you get into the comic book industry?

I started like most of comic artists, sending my portfolio to publishers...it was about 10 years ago, I just had my first degree at Art School and I started working in comics and illustrations for some of the main Italian publishers, mostly in books for kids.

How does it feel working for a company like Top Cow?

It's amazing! I definitely love to work with everybody at Top Cow, there's a lot of feedback and we talk a lot about our ideas about the story we're working on. And I've always loved the characters of Top Cow universe so, as a fan, it's amazing to have the chance to draw them.

Laura's Step by Step Working Progress

How does it feel to work on a series as popular as Witchblade?

Witchblade is always been a great series, I've always loved it, and every run has added something significant to the personality of Sara, making her grow. So it's quite a fantastic challenge, I hope I am able to add something to the character as well.

Were you a fan of Witchblade prior to becoming the current artist?

I've always been a fan of Sara Pezzini and Witchblade, it's been one of the first comics I've read, so I'm really attached to this series. When I got the offer to draw one of my favourite female characters I felt really enthusiastic and excited.

Was there any prior Witchblade artists that inspired your take on the character?

I like all of the artist that worked on Witchblade, each one of them is an inspiration to me, most of all Michael Turner.

How do you feel about working alongside Ron Marz and how easy is it to work off his scripts?

Working with Ron Marz is the best situation a comic book artist could wish! Not only he is a fantastic writer with a clear vision of all the sides of the story and of the characters, but he's also very helpful, he's always there when I need a hint on the story we're working on! And it's so natural to draw his stories as you can really see the images and every detail as soon as you read the script!


What do you prefer drawing the most, emotional dialogue sequences or exciting action?

I have no preference, I enjoy drawing emotional dialogue sequences as well as action, both of them are challenging and I  try to give depth to the characters also in action sequences.

How many issues of Witchblade will you be working on and is there anything else that your planning to work on in the future?

I just started #172, for sure I wish I can work on this series as long as possible, it's a great series and a fantastic work team.

What advice would you give to an aspiring artist about getting into the comic book industry?

My only advice would be to study and practice a lot, only with determination and study it is possible to obtain high-quality results.

You can pick up Witchblade #170 now with Witchblade #171 coming out 18th December

No comments:

Post a Comment